Sunday, September 8, 2013

A music post for a Sunday night




Recently, I found an old Sonic Session CD my kids had from when there used to be a station called Y100 in the Philadelphia area. It has this song on it, and I played it enough so that they were getting a little irritated with me. What can I say, it sounded really good in the car. Also, it was making me think of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Besides the evocative lyrics and that I just like acoustic versions of things, there was something else.

Then I got it. Many love songs can be translated to the love God has for us and vice versa. This one goes back and forth, with God sometimes the speaker, sometimes us. When we forget Him, He is the one looking and waiting for us to come back and remember Him. He is the one saying, "If you want it, come and get it, for cryin' out loud. The love that I was givin' you was never in doubt."  And it is He that opened Himself up to jealously, bitterness and ridicule on our behalf.

Anyway. Can't you just see God saying, "for crying out loud!" 




Friday night I'm going nowhere
All the lights are changing green to red
Turning over tv stations
Situations running through my head

Looking back through time
You know it's clear that I've been blind
I've been a fool
To open up my heart
To all that jealousy that bitterness that ridicule


Saturday I'm running wild
And all the lights are changing red to green
Moving through the crowd
I'm pushing chemicals all rushing in my bloodstream

Only wish that you were here
You know I've seen it so clear
I've been afraid
To show you how I really feel
Admit to some of those bad mistakes I've made


And If you want it come and get it
(For) Crying out loud
The love that I was giving you was
Never in doubt

Let go your heart let go your head
And feel it now

Let go your heart let go your head
And feel it no...w

Babylon
Babylon
Babylon


Sunday all the lights in London
Shining sky is fading red to blue
When I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves
Am wondering where it is you might be going to

And am turning twirling back for home
You know I'm feeling so alone
I can't believe
Climbing on the stair I turn around
To see you smiling there in front of me




2 comments:

  1. What a fine song. He sounds a lot like Van Morrison but better because I don't care for Van. My mother's cousin, who is a priest, many years ago gave me that insight that love songs can be seen as love of God or our blessed Mother. But these lyrics particularly strike me as intended religious. I would almost be convinced that is a religious song, but most British rockers abhor religion. Could he be different? Anyway I searched around the internet and could not find anything that would suggest Grey is religious. I hope he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this instance I do think the song was originally about a human love interest. Seems like it to me anyway, but the spiritual angle is uplifting in a different way. :) I agree, that David Gray does have a raw, but pleasing voice. Dave Matthews helped promote him.
      We certainly can pray for him!

      Delete