Wednesday, February 16, 2011

7 (early) quick takes (#3) in lieu of Blog Abstinence Friday

one


 Blog Abstinence Friday is something my good friend Joyce over at The Little Way, thought of. Here is how she put it-

In light of the horror that has made Philadelphia the epicenter of moral decay, perhaps you will join me in making this Friday a day of blog abstinence.  We will use the time we normally spend reading our favorite blogs, commenting and posting, in prayer for all the outrages committed against the Sacred Heart of Jesus, particularly here in the City of Brotherly Love.

What do you say?  Will you join me?  We will abstain from reading and writing on Friday, February 18th.  We will offer this small sacrifice in reparation.  Can you get the word out to other bloggers?

To which I said, yes! And if you are a blogger, you may want to join us. And if you're not a blogger, you still can join us! Notice she added the reading of blogs into the mix...any act of sacrifice would be accepted...


two

As far as the Philadelphia Debacle goes, I am rendered speechless. On top of the original report last week, another, further one was released today. One that for some of us in my locale, added another layer of grief. On reading other blogs and comments, I have seen everything from soup to nuts, and all I really know is my head is spinning and I am at a complete loss to say anything. All I know to do is pray and sacrifice. A dear  priest said last Sunday that the Church is being purified.

   ouch.



three

 On Valentines Day evening, my husband and I did something I have never, ever done in all my 49 years. It was equally wonderful and terrifying. I felt so out of place, and now still, after the deed, still feel like an impostor. Other people do this all the time, but for me it has the trappings of extravagance. Not that we didn't need to do it, we did. As much as I am happy about it, I kind of hope I never have to do it again! Here is the result of our foray into the world of people who buy large items.




Both he and I figured we could live in it if it ever came to that. It is nicer than our house, after all.


four

You know you and you spouse are becoming the same person when at the same moment, at mass, no less, you both think that orange juice is going to be needed for breakfast, and feel the need to lean over and whisper about it. 

five

I never really got over the Sick from three weeks ago, and while I am not as ill as our friend,  Mary Catherine, or my daughter, Meghann, it was bad enough that I finally went to the doc and got an antibiotic. A lot of it was realizing I will be singing at the pro life mass we attend (Helpers of God's Precious Infants--Saint John the Evangelist) at 7AM on Saturday morning. After trying to teach the CCD kids a few songs on Tuesday night, I just knew it wasn't going to happen if I didn't do something. So here's hoping that the med will do a semi-miracle by Saturday morning. 7AM isn't my best time for singing to begin with!

six

In doing lots of thinking about this Lent, I am looking forward to disconnecting from TV and facebook, as I have mentioned before. But now I am beginning to think of things I want to do with that time. One is that I want to read about the Church Fathers. (Faith of the Early Fathers Volume 1 by William Jurgens, has been recommended). There was another one I can't remember now... I also plan to go through and clean the house well. The last time I did that was in November, before Meghann and Co. came for their visit. Since then, it's been pretty much downhill. And other things like that, things I neglect due to distraction and lack of custody of my emotions and poor discipline in general. My good friend Marie and I often talk about how we got more done when we worked outside the home than we do now! I also plan to blog more regularly, and improve my blogging ( I hope!). We'll see how all those best laid plans go. And not to forget, amid all our many intentions in prayer-that now we have our Church's purification process to sacrifice for as well. But remember that, as Father Corapi reminds us--No Good Friday, no Easter Sunday; No pain, no gain, ; no cross, no crown! which leads me to ---


seven

 Spring. Lots of bloggers are all a- buzz about it.  Here in Philadelphia, Spring can be an iffy affair. Sometimes we go from winter to summer, like ka-BLAM.  The coats are still laying in the hallway, when suddenly we begin to talk about putting in the air conditioners. I would love if spring and fall were much more drawn out, like, you know, more than fifteen minutes long.  I still have hope, though, for the time when we can open the windows;  and for the time when the feeling of the sun is a welcome one- before it reaches the point when we are retreating from it, closing the curtains and doors against it, and once again having to seal ourselves off from the outdoors.







Wishing you a blessed weekend--see you Monday!

Peace,


Kelly




 

5 comments:

  1. oh. the other book is The Imitation of Christ. And Jen Fulweiler, at Conversion Diary, in my sidebar, has many good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice car! Lots of luck with it. Get Father to bless it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good stuff here.

    And thanks for the well-wishes.

    Hope your antibiotics get to work quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog kelly. Best of luck with your car. This morning I took my wife's car in because the heater has not been working and I got a shock on what it will cost to replace. I'll spare you the details, but it made me gasp.

    If you want a good Lenten read try this: Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre. Both Anchoress and Julie at Happy Catholic gave it some great reviews in the past week. You probably could find their reviews if you searched. But it's at Amazon, if you want to look the book over. I bought it as a download for my Kindle the other day and was reading it last night as part of our blog abstinence.

    Hope you feel better. [49? We're the same age.]

    ReplyDelete