I have been ruminating since the election on just how to go forward from here, personally, spiritually.
Without going into what may or may not have happened on election day and then the resignation of General Petraeus and how everything fits together, or doesn't--or if it's all one huge co-inky-dink--I find myself wanting to focus on what I can do now.
Of course, there has been a lot of God Is In Control messages in the air, and, of course, He is, but if anyone is like me -- wanting to know my next assignment, wanting to DO something to fend off being demoralized, wanting to listen for His voice specifically to me, then you may also be casting about.
The term, "going small," kept coming to mind. While the larger world does it's own thing, my calling to what's put in front of me suddenly kind of came into focus. There are lots of people in my life that could use some love and attention. They could really use His loving touch.
Just for starters.
I always knew this and already accepted it as my vocation, but now, somehow, I feel a renewed sense of it's importance in God's larger plan. And yes, I realize that was always true as well. That He has always been in the Renewal of Hearts Business. Not knowing what is happening to our country needn't become Not Living as His child, or Not Believing He will preserve His children no matter what.
This past Sunday, we attended a Communion Breakfast and the Monsignor that spoke shared EXACTLY what I have been feeling and thinking. He conveyed it way better than I.
At the end, he used this illustration-
You don’t have to actually answer the questions. Just ponder on them.
Just read the article straight through, and you’ll get the point.
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
- Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
- Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
- Name the last decade’s worth of World Series Winners.
How did you do?
- The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.
- These are no second-rate achievers.
- They are the best in their fields.
- But the applause dies.
- Awards tarnish.
- Achievements are forgotten.
- Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:
- List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
- Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special!
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
Did you find that Easier?
- The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials..
- The most money…or the most awards…
- They simply are the ones who care the most
God Bless you