Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 22 --blog for life









Today I have an oh-so-rare day all alone at home. Of course, I don't mind when everyone is home, but being here alone occasionally gives me a little breathing room to think, (and usually, clean), uninterrupted. This morning, I also went to mass. The Church made it a special day--


In all the Dioceses of the United States of America, January 22 (or January 23, when January 22 falls on a Sunday) shall be observed as a particular day of prayer for the full restoration of the legal guarantee of the right to life and of penance for violations to the dignity of the human person committed through acts of abortion. - USCC

 It doesn't look like I will be able to attend the March for Life this year, sadly. But I hope to pray and do some small sacrifice.

I am all out of words about abortion right now, so I am going to borrow some.
 Father Kelly gave a wonderful homily today, and since the 1st and 2nd graders were in attendance (and preciously did the readings--oh my goodness, so. cute),  he tailored his explanation of the sanctity of life to be appropriate  for their ears and understanding. It was in some ways, better to hear it framed this way than some of the very graphic and violent descriptions one can sometimes hear. Though  necessary at times as well. 

Here are a few of his points.

1. When you see a pregnant woman, boys and girls, what is she going to have? A zebra? An elephant?

2. Who here started out as a baby? That's right, everybody. When my mother was pregnant with me, what were the two possibilities? Yes, there are only two. Right, a boy or a girl! Never a parakeet, or a lump. Well, I was a lump for a short time as a teenager...

3. Have you ever heard the story, The Emporer's New Clothes? No? Oh, you should get the book and read it. -- (here he tells the story) --so, boys and girls, don't ever do what you know in your heart is wrong, no matter what crazy stuff you may see or hear. You have been taught what the Church, the Bible and the Catechism say, by our great teachers here at St. Monica's. You are not "dumb" if you go against what everybody else is doing because you know right from wrong.*

*Fr. Kelley's words are paraphrased.

How simple, profound, and how full of truth. I have been saying Number One for years, only I like to go further, and say dumptruck.
The Gospel this morning was about having to receive Jesus' teachings like a child. When something is clear and simple, such as a woman bearing a human life, there are those that would like to try to make it into a complicated thing. 

Boys and girls, don't let the world get into your head and remove your common sense, and call it "thinking for yourself, " or, the ubiquitous, "choice." 

Here are a few favorite reasons I am prolife. You know a lot of these, too. They are called people.























~Pray for the unborn~
+JMJ+

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, I don't know if you saw my return comment to you on J's Cafe. I had told you I was going to go to the NYC March yesterday. Well, the night before that, Monday, I got the flu. I had 101F fever and I had to back out. I so wanted to go. The papers had nothing on it today.

    Anyway, I have been saying number 1 for a long time myself. I once flummoxed someone I was debating with it. She had no reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see it--I thought I responded? Oh well, I probably only responded IN MY MIND...lol. that's how things go for me these days.
    Of course it wasn't in the papers! What else is new?
    Sorry to hear about your illness. Part of the reason i am not going to DC this year is how easily I relapse once I get sick. :( I had been doing better until this last bout with what I guess was flu.
    I am going to do some special fast and sacrifice that day and try to get to adoration.

    Yes, the plainest facts are pretty hard to refute. Sadly, there are those poor souls that have sold their own for this issue.

    ReplyDelete